Subject: Re: Guth's "Lost in Space" "La Boheme" for Paris
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 17 Dec 2017 21:48:05 -0500

David w. Patterson wrote:

"It sounds ghastly.  It's an opera I love and have sung Schaunard.  What's the purpose of
messing it around except for satisfying a director's ego trip and ruining a lovely opera?"

Except he didn't "ruin" the lovely opera - at least not for thousands who are experiencing it
in Paris right now.  I've communicated with several who attended this past week and were
moved to tears by it.  Puccini approves of that.

Likewise, the "ego trip" argument has become an old cop out, anytime someone doesn't like
something.  I find it unfair, and generally inaccurate.  While some reviews have not been
favorable - few productions being "everyone's cup of tea" - many more have lauded Guth's
work, audiences are loving it very few seats are left for the remaining six performances,
with at least one (tomorrow's) completely sold out and another about to.

Guth is one of the most esteemed directors in Europe and it's not for nothing he's in
constant demand.  Singers who've worked with him are on record as saying how deep he
gets them into character, revealing elements in their roles that sometimes they'e not even
considered.  How is that egotistical?

I've seen a good bit of his work, and have found most of it quite striking visually, but
sometimes he's missed the mark, at least for me.  An example would be his staging of
Schubert's rarely produced Fierrabrass.  Boheme, is a different story - even if he did "ruin"
it, one can find the Boheme of one's dreams just about anywhere, particularly on DVD or
recordings.

I'm not trying to convince anyone whose mind has already been made up they don't like
something (even if they've not seen it), but do feel that many of us who enjoy these
innovative stagings of works we've seen more times than we can count, are the audiences
these directors are trying to get into the opera house.  In Europe, at least, they're
succeeding.

p.