Subject: Re: Guth's "Lost in Space" "La Boheme" for Paris
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 17 Dec 2017 15:37:54 -0500

Gordon, I'm sorry  you couldn't enjoy it and felt the need to analyze every aspect of it.  I
tend to do that at times, but usually going into something I know is controversial, I'm more
willing than usual to sit back and let the work speak to me on its terms.

I'm a "Boheme Baby" as well, and have since my teens, served as a rehearsal pianist, sang
in the chorus, toured as Parpignol, played a third act "guard" and understudied Rodolfo
(getting at least one rehearsal, which was marvelous).  I KNEW going in that this was going
to be a difficult take on Puccini's opera, and so decided I would let IT guide me without
questioning the "why" of it all.

I think we disagree on the director's intent of having Mimi and Company occupying the
same physical space as the astronauts.  I thought that WAS the point, not creating a dream
play but rather having Rodolfo conjuring up hallucinations of his past.

The candle in the 21st century doesn't bother me, people still use them for light in 2017,
particularly if you are poor, don't have a smart phone, or are out of batteries for your
flashlight - if you have one (I don't).   Additionally, Mimi is already long dead by the
beginning of the opera, wandering in and out of Rodolfo's consciousness, and his last
thought was of her death.  I found this enormously moving, as I did the mime blowing out
the candle (and I usually loath mimes).

Regardless, audiences are cheering it, so there's that aspect.  In my previous post I
mentioned how it's been several years since I've been so moved by a performance of this
opera.  I welcomed that feeling.

And, of course, glorious musicmaking from conductor, cast and chorus didn't hurt!

p.