Subject: Santiago Ballerini
From: Gene Bowen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 16 Dec 2017 19:19:08 -0500

For those who subscribe to the lyricoperatrading Yahoo group, there is an upload of a
complete Romeo et Juliette (excellent video quality) from Buenos Aires.  Ballerini's complete
Romeo.  Next March he debuts as Tonio in La Fille du Regiment at the Atlanta Opera.
Stephanie Blythe is the Marquise. The conductor is Christopher Allen, who got a nice profile in
a recent Opera News.
Unrelated trivia: as a 40-yr resident I can attest that opera in Atlanta has always been as
much a social event as artistic.  A few years ago we had an Aida conducted by Yoel Levi.  He
was formerly the conductor of the Atlanta Symphony and made a number of recordings for
the Telarc label.  When the house lights went down, he began the beautifully quiet Aida
prelude amid the endless audience chatter.  After about a minute and a half he simply stopped
the orchestra, and just stood there until the audience shamed itself into a respectful silence.
I've not experienced anything like that before or since.  But I do wish, when warranted, it
happened more often.