Subject: Re: 2nd cast Norma
From: Paul Ferraro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 16 Dec 2017 18:42:43 -0500

Maybe it's my equipment, but I heard no vibrato from Meade & considered
this performance among her very best, albeit her Norma is on a lighter,
lyric scale than others.  Barton definitely ready to graduate into the
great Verdi mezzo roles & I'd give anything to hear her in La Favorita,
with Javier Camarena. Now, if only there were a great Italian baritone
for Alfonso....

Calleja improved to a tolerably decent level as the afternoon wore on
after an embarrassing goatlike bleat in the first act aria.  I guess he
never dared considered the high note at the end of the cabaletta.
Thought the bass sounded a lot like a younger Furlanetto - good for him
(ducking after the rather rough treatment FF received here recently).

Happy Politically Correct Season a Tutti!

Paolo