From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 13 Dec 2017 23:01:11 +0000

 Hi Les
The opera in the ghastly Schippers edition was done 10 or so years ago in Baltimore with Elizabeth Futral and Vivica Genaux.
Since 1980 one is much more likely to hear MAOMETTO II, the original, later translated and reworked into LE SIEGE DE CORINTH, later reworked into L'ASSEDIO, then still later cut to ribbons and  filled with extraneous stuff by Schippers.
MAOMETTO is a much better opera, I've heard it in San Fran ( June Anderson, Horne, Alaimo, Merritt) and at the Opera du Rhin. Santa Fe did it in an even more authentic version in 2012 . Pesaro did a new production of LE SIEGE DE CORINTH this summer- hope to see that French version soon.

People who only know the Sills 'edition defend it because "that's what they know". It's as if we had to listen to ACIS AND GALATEA only in Mozart's redaction or FREISCHUETZ only in the horrible French version LE ROBIN DES BOIS  made by Castil-Blaze, cutting and pasting right and left--or like people hereabouts praising the horrors wrought on FORZA by the German editions of the 20s, carried over by Bing to the Met in the 50s, because "that's what they know" from when they heard the beloved idols of their youth in FORZA.
Give  one of the MAOMETTO II recordings a listen, I bet you''l enjoy it.
Cheers - David

Modify your settings: