Subject: Re: Renata Tebaldi (was Seconda Donna - Angela Meade)
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 13 Dec 2017 15:35:17 -0500

I have often made this point about Tebaldi never wobbling when the subject
of her vocal decline comes up.  One could take the point even further.  It
is ironic that she should have come to be the iconic Italian soprano of her
time, when her voice really did not work in the classic Italian soprano way,
which was marked by a fast pulsating vibrato.  While the most voluptuous of
all, her sound was also the narrowest in vibrato, which is why in her prime
her top notes remind me very much of Flagstad.  I once fancifully
entertained the idea that this may of had something to do with the Germanic
roots of her paternal family seen in her surname and the given names of many
of her relatives, names like Clotilde.  Whatever the  reason, even in the
last recitals when her workable range was compressed to about an octave,
there was never the hint of a wobble.

David Kubiak