Subject: Re: Any ideas, hints, tips, pointers about how to use the mechanisms of the Juilliard Library Catalog?
From: Bob Kosovsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 12 Dec 2017 17:24:35 -0500

"don warner saklad" <[log in to unmask]> asked:

> Trying to figure out how to use the Juilliard Library Catalog
> effectively... searching for titles of music composed by James Levine
> during the years at the school as a conducting student, composition
> studies, composing sketches, anything at all.
> ? Any ideas, hints, tips, pointers about how to use the mechanisms at
> http://library.juilliard.edu/

You're making the assumption that all student compositions of all
Juilliard students are entered into the catalog.  That's very unlikely.
Most schools that I've investigated enter at most only the works written
as graduation assignments *for composition majors.*  Other students may
write works, but unless those students become well known, they're unlikely
to be part of the school library.

James Levine entered and graduated Juilliard as a piano major, already
knowing he wanted to conduct (at NYPL we have a letter he wrote to Rosina
Lhevinne--his eventual piano teacher--stating his future goal).  I've not
read his biography, but nothing I know of his career suggests he was
interested in composing.  If he did compose anything, it probably remains
in his personal possession.

Listowner: OPERA-L ; EXLIBRIS-L ; SMT-ANNOUNCE ; SoundForge-users
-- My opinions do not necessarily represent those of my institutions --