Subject: Re: Seconda Donna - Angela Meade
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 12 Dec 2017 11:35:52 -0500

Actually, Sutherland / Bonynge did a lot to pull Semiramide up into soprano
territory.  This was the last role Rossini wrote for his mezzoish wife
Isabella Colbran and it is actually focused lower than Sutherland's ideal
comfort zone.  I'm not complaining because Sutherland is magnificent in the
role, but I think it fits more naturally in Di Donato's range.  Elena in
Donna del Lago is also a Colbran role, and I thought it was a triumph for J
Di D...

You are right about Meade's strong vibrato - it may be the basis of her
perceived wobble as well as the "indication" she gives of producing an
actual trill.  I've seen her live 4 times and the only fully satisfying
performance was outside her supposed Bel Canto specialization - Alice Ford
in Falstaff.  As Nanki-poo sings, the voice otherwise seems to be a "thing
of shreds and patches..."

Gruberova may not have a wobble, but she has turned herself into Edita
Desmond:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlGhKikmx8o