Subject: Re: arte.tv videocast of La Scala opener covers up booing
From: Ron Magnuson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 11 Dec 2017 23:01:50 -0500

> On Dec 11, 2017, at 10:22 PM, Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Apropos of the La Scala Chenier, a few thoughts.  I heard the opening
> night.  I didn't really expect much from  Yusif Eyvazov.

I agree with Don on all of his points.  Eyvazov was better than expected but has a generic voice that does not generate the excitement that this role engenders.  Netrebko struggled with pitch throughout and was incapable of the pathos dripping from the music. Scalsi was by far the best singer in this performance.  This was not a memorable Chenier.