Subject: Re: arte.tv videocast of La Scala opener covers up booing
From: David H Spence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 11 Dec 2017 21:10:52 -0500

I am not ready to relegate my dear friend Ray Gouin to the role of a dumb-ass dilettante or
varsity prepster.  Are any of you?  ;-), ;-)

What was it too with the cheap arbitrary bird's eye shooting of the stage at La Scala and
furthermore, this Andrea Chenier being some form of todestag tribute to the memory of
Vittorio De Sabata?  If anything De Sabata was under-rated in his own right, while having
been a considerably more formidable presence on the La Scala podium or anywhere for that
matter than even Riccardo Chailly, as very fine numerous times as he has been already -
Andrea Chenier twice now, the first time thrity years ago on disc, a notable exception.

Should anybody know, how are the transfers on the new DGG reissue box of his Decca and
DGG recordings?  There is no Eroica on disc I prefer to his, with Beecham's London PO, which I
would rate up there (very much) almost with the EMI Tosca starring Callas and di Stefano.

David H Spence