Subject: arte.tv videocast of La Scala opener covers up booing
From: David H Spence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 11 Dec 2017 20:32:50 -0500

Except for somebody having posted a separate track on youtube to indicate there was
booing during the curtain calls, we all would have never known.  Arte.tv cuts to some
dumb-ass social dilettante emceeing the conclusion of the evening, indicating to us how
wonderfully she thought the whole evening had gone, when it had been instead really a
crashing bore.  Should La Scala want to lower its standards to where they are right now at
the Met (with their cannibalized Magic Flute on the air last Saturday), they still should not
be allowed to do so.  Their orchestra still plays sublimely well and Chailly, beyond a few
errors in judgment, including who got hired to stage and sing this Andrea Chenier, its
principal parts, is the right man for the job.

Yusif Eyvazov deserved at least as much trouble for his recent Vienna Trovatore.  It was
also badly staged, but picked up a couple of good reviews due to having the last name of
Abbado tied to it.  Both the current Andrea Chenier and Vienna Trovatore sank at times to
the level of a college glee club production of either work - and with the lighting of the
Trovatore the most hyper and uncertain as to what to do as I have witnessed anywhere.  As
an aside, I wondered why no booing for Netrebko, Terfel, and producer (Robert Carsen) for
the Don Giovanni that opened La Scala's season six years ago.  Netrebko as Donna Anna
sounded consistently sour and out of tune the whole evening and this was her debut with
the company.

Arte.tv does a disservice to its subscribers by engaging in such a cover-up as I've run
across this evening.  With there being very low attendance for all'opera events in the city in
which I live, I've already telephoned their cinema affiliate here to request the Chenier not
be shown towards instead favoring the Don Pasquale that is still upcoming (also to be
conducted by Chailly) and several other presentations out of the six that are available from
mostly Rome Opera and La Scala.  A senior musician I ran into today spoke of Andrea
Chenier as being boring unless you have three great singers for it - which La Scala does not
have, even in part.  As an aside, Carsen's Rosenkavalier, replica in a way of his lousy
Salzburg production of this on dvd, got booed on its opening night from the Met last spring.
Thanks for hearing me out.

David H Spoence