Subject: Re: WITCH HUNTS AND LYNCH MOBS (formerly, I smell a book in the making)
From: Frank Cadenhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 11 Dec 2017 10:30:45 -0500

Many years ago, I was associated with a chamber orchestra where it became clear
to many, including the musicians, that the music director had become a raging
alcoholic. The first violinist once commented "if he falls in the audience, we keep
playing. If he falls in the orchestra, we will stop."

When any organization, particularly one which depends on charitable donors,
becomes aware of negative personnel issues which the public was not aware, the
group has to recognize a potential serious problem and find a solution that benefits
the group. We did not fire the conductor in question but his role was limited by
management and he was soon replaced. No charges flew about in the public
sphere.

It is clear that many at the Met were aware of the issue with Levine. I had heard
the talk in the mid-1980s. It is obvious that the Met management believed that
this would never impact the institution. But voices of moderation should have been
raised as Levine became more and more of a central figure, a "star" and a pillar of
the Met.

It is impossible to understand how so many major institutions in Hollywood could
not see the Harvey Weinstein train wreck coming. Almost all companies routinely
make decisions that protect their image when they become aware of issues with
public figures of their company. This is neither new nor an extraordinary event.
When simple greed trumps protecting the corporate image, leaders have failed the
organization.

Frank Cadenhead