Subject: Re: Upcoming Boheme?
From: Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 8 Dec 2017 08:32:50 -0500

A close example I can think of is the horrible, dreadful, ridiculous and
ill-conceived Samson in Berlin a couple of seasons ago, where the action was
moved forward to, I guess, the late 1800s, Samson never went blind and never
toppled the temple and his destruction of the Philistines came with him
pointing to train box cars in which they willingly and dutifully entered to
be taken to concentration camps / gas chambers.

This was to be repeated with the same cast at a later date but I heard they
rebelled and together with a negative audience reaction (though a handful of
critics, as is their want, and another handful of progressive audience
members loved the entire thing, though I can't really think why except to be
contrarian) they staged Carmen in its place.  As far as I know, the
ill-conceived opera has never been staged again.

Also, wasn't there a Planet of the Apes restaging in which the star bolted?
Believe that one was in France.

My understanding is that the singers don't usually walk away from a
production;  they have medical issues, family issues, scheduling issues.  It
seems a safer way to go....