Subject: Re: Faust
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 8 Dec 2017 10:51:14 -0700

Count me in the Faust corner.  My first performance was as a 14 year old at
the old Palais Garnier in Paris.  The production was probably from the
1890's and I remember was it  the young Faust or Mephisto emerging from a
puff of smoke?  Don't remember, but I do remember the singer starting with
a great big fit of coughing.  I thought it hysterical.  A few years later
my first Met Faust had Lorengar, Gedda, Merrill and Siepi.  Faust Heaven.
I will never forget she and Gedda in that gorgeous duet or her ending the
act with a superb Il m'aime and a glorious high note it was at the end.
Then there was she and Siepi in a sublime, and I mean sublime, church
scene.  Yes, I could live without the Soldiers Chorus (but then again, as
much as I love Il Trovatore, I dislike the Anvil Chorus..  I will say one
thing about Faust however, it should be done relatively straight.  To make
it philosophical or attribute anything other than some really lovely music
doesn't really work.  Its not Goethe you know.

Donald