Subject: Terfel and Tosca (was Re: Faust)
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 8 Dec 2017 12:12:30 -0500

Angelo wrote (in part):

"Bryn Terfel is reported to have told Met people after the disastrous Tosca staging that he
would not return to the company until he approved of the production.  He obviously has
been convinced that the  new Tosca due later this month is more to his liking."

* * * * *

I've some serious doubts Mr. Terfel hated Bondy's Tosca (which I enjoyed) or refused to
return in it.  As best I know Terfel and Bondy enjoyed a good working relationship, the
singer garnering enormous success in his highly praised “Salome” in and again in Covent
Garden

As for Tosca, Terfel made a meal of Scarpia in Lehnhoff’s controversial production (again
with Malfitano) so much so that the opera could almost be called “Scarpia.”  Lehnhoff strips
off the baroque trappings and seems to have set Puccini’s melodrama in Hell.
Te Deum finds  Scarpia alone before a large painting of the devil and at each cannon burst
columns covering the stage erupt with flames, the cameras catching Scarpia’s malevolent
sneer, as flames leap up towards him.  It is positively thrilling.

For the second act, Scarpia’s apartment looks to be in an industrial warehouse.  A massively
long two prong staircase dominates the rear whose massive walls go up to the fly space.  A
gargantuan turbine stage right lends an ominous subterranean feeling. One immediately
senses this is not a fun place.  Then there’s Mean Mister Scarpia, reclined on an eight foot
long divan, donned in . . . skintight silk lizard skin patterned lounge with matching
sleeveless vest, stroking a beautiful yellow tabby cat like a Bond villain.  Terfel eats it all up
like a Sunday dinner.

When Tosca first appears at Chez Scarpia, all we see are her red high heels coming down
the first staircase –  shoes she will remove before reclining on the divan for Scarpia to
collect his prize.  It is only after his murder do we realize that the massive staircases have
disappeared and we, along with Tosca are completely trapped.  There are no other doors the
room now converted into an enormous death trap, its only air seemingly coming in from the
turbine.  Tosca goes into a genuine panic during the dumb show – now stripped/relieved of
the pseudo-religious crucifix/candelabra business.  In her search for the safe passage
conduct, Tosca discovers and takes a gun hinting at her later suicide.  As if by divine
intervention a panel opens up and moonlight streams in revealing a hidden, secret exit.
Pistol in hand and fur coat trailing behind her behind Tosca escapes.  Thrilling.

The final act is on an enormous stage filling disc, the floor of which is covered by the
shadow of light pouring down from the turbine – which is now in the ceiling.  The rear of the
stage gives the feeling of being at the edge of the world – with the moon and stars
reflecting in the night.  After the execution, now fully deranged Tosca holds Scarpia’s
henchmen at bay waving the gun – and one almost senses she’s going to blow her brains
out . . . but instead she runs, flings it to the ground and takes a flying leap out the heavens
that took my breath away – that mane of hair wildly trailing behind her as Sciarrone and
Spoletta hit the ground safely watching her from above.  Loved this, and clearly the cast
reveled in this inspired, unusual regie.

A few photos:

http://www.tiempodemusica.com.ar/archivos_subidos/ImageToscaDVD-1.jpg

http://www.tiempodemusica.com.ar/archivos_subidos/ImageToscaDVD-2.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51T29iViP0L._SY445_.jpg