Subject: Re: Faust
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 8 Dec 2017 12:10:44 -0500

Apropos Bob's comment, since I heard and was bowled over by his American
recital debut at Ravinia (I won't name his accompanist on that occasion) I
have followed Bryn Terfel's career with interest until it became too painful
to listen.  So I haven't heard him recently, but I did at one point reach
the perhaps strange conclusion that aside from Mozart he never really had an
operatic voice at all.  He could have been one of the greatest Lieder
singers ever, except that he had no interest in that and, of course, you
can't make a living in such a career today.  Despite his size there was a
certain fragile tenderness in the sound, which he could exploit very
successfully in the song repertoire, but which I think his opera singing
destroyed.  A great shame.

David Kubiak