Subject: Re: Sutherland's Met Trovatore (was Re: Fwd: WHEN TO RETIRE)
From: A Katalin Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 1 Dec 2017 13:07:29 -0500

And miss that lovely duet between Carlo and Elisabetta in the forest? Give me the five act version any timeā€¦

On 12/1/17, 12:50 PM, "Discussion of opera and related issues on behalf of Donald Levine" <[log in to unmask] on behalf of [log in to unmask]> wrote:

    Idia, the tenor aria from Don Carlo appears in altered form at the
    beginning of the 4 act version in the Monastery of St. Juste.  Io l'ho
    perduta, Io lo vidi.  It is actually reworked slightly and in my opinion,
    better then the original.  So, DC does get his aria whether we are doing
    the Fontainbleau Scene or not.  I personally (perhaps because its the way I
    learned Don Carlo) always preferred the 4 act Milan version of 1884 where
    after the initial sombre opening with the Friar, Don Carlo rushes in and
    launches the Io lo perduta.  Don Carlo(s) whether in the four act or five
    act, is my favorite Verdi opera.

    Don