Subject: Re: Levine
From: Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 5 Dec 2017 13:02:08 -0500

I find all this so upsetting that I can't quite make sense out of it.
Apparently, the decades-old rumors about Levine were widely known by
management (who, indeed, may have even participated in covering up the open
secret by providing pay-outs to victims), board members, musicians and
audience members--and yet nothing was ever done until Levine was old and
growing less reliable as a conductor--in short, until his sell-by date had
passed.  Now Peter Gelb declares he is deeply disturbed by the latest
reports (but only once they become reportable in the press, not before when
he and the board members were quietly cleaning up mess after mess) and finds
it a tragedy for anyone whose life has been affected.  And yet, management,
board members, musicians and audiences at no time sanctioned Levine.  How
about all those mothers and fathers who brought their kids to the Met or
whose kids participated in Met productions or other venues where Levine
worked?  Did anyone warn them about potential risks?  Did anyone mention
that the health and wellbeing of their child might be at risk?

All those audience members who sat through a Levine performance and who knew
the 'rumor':  what sort of justification can be used?  That Levine wouldn't
approach them directly because they were adults?  It didn't matter because
no one in their family or in their social group were affected?  It's just
music and he couldn't harm anyone while waving around his baton?  All those
glowing praises bestowed on Levine by people WHO KNEW he was preying on kids
and who didn't care because they put their aural pleasure first?

OK, I get it:  we want what we want when we want it, and everything else be
damned.  But we are talking kids here, and don't we all, at some point in
our lives, need to take a deep breath and say enough is enough?  I'll give
this one thing up, the thing I love, if it saves another?

Or is that too idealistic?  Do we all just hold ourselves so entitled that
we no longer care about those who can't protect themselves?

And, please, I've had a couple of folks who compared the apple/Wagner to the
orange/Levine.  One (as far as I know) was verbally anti-Semitic;  the other
was physically assaulting boys.    I'm not sure I see a clear parallel
but....I guess whatever floats your entitled boat works for you.