From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 5 Dec 2017 11:54:31 -0600

I've said nothing about this publicly on this Board because I wanted to know more and observe everyone else's comments, and Mr. Kane's thinking seems to be closely aligned with my own.  Mr. Levine was an artist whose career was second to none (a Time picture cover three decades ago stands as testimony) and he was idolized by many singers who loved working with him. I spent the whole day yesterday watching that spectacular 25th anniversary tribune from the Met, and I couldn't help thinking about these revelations about his perverse behavior.  My first question is that, given that it was an "open secret" in the opera world --------- why did it take so long to burst open?  I've read of the Met keeping a "hush fund", certain singers "covering and lying" for him, and the like.  Most disturbing, I even read that Mr. Levine actually inflicted physical pain on one of the men who have come forward.
    A great conductor he was, certainly.  Moreover, his recordings and DVDs certainly should NOT be banned and withdrawn --- out of respect to the contributions of so many great singers who participated in these projects.  Besides, there are so MANY that it would create a not inconsiderable gap in the general classical music catalogue.
    If the Met WAS paying out "hush money", then it's up to whomever to determine how complicit the Met could have been in this matter.  If there WERE payouts, under WHO's administration did it take place?  Also, did the Board authorize these "hush payments"?
    When all is said and done, we have here an artist and musician who was a paragon of musical genius. He was also a real creep with a very dark side.
    Lastly, it is Mr. Levine who DOES take the ultimate downfall here.  What a way to end a fifty year career in music.  The tragedy is his alone and a tragedy it surely is.