Subject: Re: Trovatore/Don Carlo arias/not arias
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 1 Dec 2017 10:56:00 -0700

Here I do, second posting within five minutes.

Well, I saw him in the house as Don Carlo and Alvaro and no one since have
sung either as well.  The thrilling live sound of that voice was something
you don't get from the recordings.  As Alvaro, his only equal is Tucker
(also a superb DC).  Domingo, even from the beginning had problems with the
tessitura of the role.  By the revival of 1994, he was transposing even the
duets.  I grew up on Corelli, Bergonzi and Tucker.  Lucky me!  I am just
old enough to have heard all three while they were still in prime voice.

Donald