Subject: Re: Sutherland's Met Trovatore (was Re: Fwd: WHEN TO RETIRE)
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 1 Dec 2017 10:50:30 -0700

Idia, the tenor aria from Don Carlo appears in altered form at the
beginning of the 4 act version in the Monastery of St. Juste.  Io l'ho
perduta, Io lo vidi.  It is actually reworked slightly and in my opinion,
better then the original.  So, DC does get his aria whether we are doing
the Fontainbleau Scene or not.  I personally (perhaps because its the way I
learned Don Carlo) always preferred the 4 act Milan version of 1884 where
after the initial sombre opening with the Friar, Don Carlo rushes in and
launches the Io lo perduta.  Don Carlo(s) whether in the four act or five
act, is my favorite Verdi opera.

Don