Subject: Re: Nezet-Seguin (was Levine)
From: Mike Leone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 4 Dec 2017 16:13:02 -0500

I don't think, when it comes to imbalance of power, that the willingness or enthusiasm of the one being--well, let's say "invited"--to participate in a sexual act is irrelevant.  It will always be an unanswered question whether there was even the slightest intimation of coercion that helped persuade the invitee to take part.  That question will always exist, even when the perpetrator is not somebody renowned, because there will always be the question of undue influence.  I think that is at least part of the reason why the law says that the underage are not able to give informed consent.

As to the question of recordings, videos, Met on Demand, and so forth, I don't think there is an easy answer.  Obviously, the Met can't, as I have read NBC is trying to do with Matt Lauer, scrub all evidence of Levine's existence from its archives, not with over 2500 performances to his credit since 1971.  However, the Met may well feel obliged to delete availability of its video and audio recordings of Levine, online and otherwise.  It's like with any other recording that goes out of print:  copies will still be available on eBay, through used record stores and the like and, in the case of live material, through unofficial sources.  I do wonder, assuming the Met takes this step, if it will delete its entire recent Ring videos or if it will keep available the two segments conducted by Luisi, since their continued availability would only serve to point up the fact that the other two parts were missing.  Or how about the imminent audio release of the 50th anniversary gala?

I can't help but wonder what was going through Levine's head at last Saturday's Requiem.  Surely he must have known at that point that all of this was brewing.

Mike Leone

Ecco il Leone!

Sent from my iPhone