Subject: Anthony Bliss letter
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 4 Dec 2017 15:49:24 -0500

I was very interested at the end of the 1979 Anthony Bliss letter published
by the NYT on accusations against Mr. Levine.  He says:  "There is no
question that the opera...does contain many people in important positions
who are homosexuals...I do not believe that the existence of homosexuals
within the management or for that matter on the Board, can be considered
cause for dismissal."

Allowing for the dated language used by Mr. Bliss, might not his kind of
thinking about the issue have contributed to Mr. Levine's immunity for
behavior that, as all of us have said, we have heard about for many years?
I read from Mr. Bliss the then common assumption of society that
"homosexuals" have certain predilections that it would be witch-hunting to
follow up very closely. At this late date Kevin Spacey seems to have thought
something along the same lines when he made the disastrous assumption that
declaring himself gay would absolve him from responsibility for sexual
assaults on minors.

David Kubiak