Subject: Re: It's already in the newspapers
From: Jean Scarr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 4 Dec 2017 13:26:13 -0500

Steve and others:  I listened to the "Requiem" yesterday and marveled that James Levine was still conducting.  Only hours later he was suspended. The rumors existed for ages.  I friend of mine gave up her 1994 Bayreuth tickets because Levine was conducting The "Ring". I happily took the tickets because I was such an admirer of Levine's conducting of Wagner.  At the time I dismissed the rumors as gossip or perhaps I was just in denial.  I am sure there were those who found it difficult to accept what was going on in the Catholic Church. I think back to the Nixon years.  I simply could not believe that a President could cover up a third rate burglary. I am no longer such an idealist. Sexual improprieties have been going on forever, but we have been naïve, indifferent, or enabling.  Thank goodness victims have been speaking out.  These days are sad for the political, the entertainment, journalistic, and now the opera worlds.  Jean