Subject: Re: Levine accused of sexual abuse
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 4 Dec 2017 12:50:03 -0500

Mr. Kane - I assume you're referring to a reference I made, and I'm a little surprised that
you would so willfully take my remarks out of context. I say willfully, because I do know
you're an intelligent man, whether I find you to also be a curmudgeon or not, lol.

I was responding to the question as to whether the Met and other outlets will decide to
remove Levine's recordings and videos from their "shelves" (cyber or physical). My
question in return is, are we able to separate the distasteful actions of a man from his
undeniable talent? I'm sure you're aware, Mr. Kane, of the ages-old debate many people
have had, and still have, about Wagner's bigotry vs. his music (and Hitler's further
appropriation of his music, etc, which has of course served to amplify the controversy
over time) and whether or not we can revere his talents and put aside his beliefs for the
sake of his musical and dramatic genius. I think the same kind of debate now applies to
Levine's talent in light of the current accusations. (And in fact, it will surely apply to
people who have enjoyed Kevin Spacey's films, or Louis CK's comedy, and on and on.)
But the point is, of course, that it's about any such human ugliness, not just sexual
crimes.

How you got from that to Wagner's being pegged as a sexual predator I have no idea. As
I said, I think you're smarter than that. Thank you.