Subject: Re: Levine
From: A Katalin Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 4 Dec 2017 09:18:09 -0500

You know, the fact that now it is all in the open and there is “proof,” makes the whole issue so sad – just about everyone who has attended the MET regularly, or BSO concerts over the last 40 years has known about “Jimmy’s private predilections” and took it for granted that this was not just unfounded gossip, but fact.  None of us stopped from going to his concert and opera performances. I always thought of him as a disgusting human being, did not participate in the standing ovations and the adulation given to the maestro, but just as I would never stay away from a Wagner opera, it never occurred to me not to take advantage of the opportunities given to me to hear his music making live.
I find it very sorrowful that now, at the end of his life, all that glory is going to be dragged through the mud, though there is no doubt that he deserves every bit of it; his hypocritical denials over the years when questioned make it even more well-earned.
 We are a very hypocritical society, and all these accusations will make no difference in the long run. After it all dies down and we chew on some other subject (though the best outcome may be that it will finally reach Trump as well and bring him down – that is a hope…..), things will all go back to the way it always is – the strong and powerful will continue to prey on the weak who need their favor, and get away with it.
Most of the time.