Subject: Re: Levine Suspended
From: Brian T <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 4 Dec 2017 10:02:56 +0000

As I guessed, the Met has taken the "appropriate action".  How the mighty have fallen indeed.  While I applaud Mr. Gelb's predictable action, he had no choice.  But he and the board knew about this since October 2016?  Mr. Gelb did not prohibit his last performance of the Requiem on Saturday afternoon, but he must have been aware what was about to erupt in the media.
I think it is fitting then if Levine's final work with the company was this piece.

What still puzzles me is how one entire company, let alone members of other orchestras that Levine worked with, and singers, here and abroad, how quiet everyone kept about this.  It's astounding the number of artists he came into contact with, and journalists.  It's like he had a cloaking device that was impenetrable and cast a spell on everyone to remain silent.
Of course in earlier times, there was no social media and web that now affects everyone and in a much faster way, that news (real or rumors) reach us.  But for something to have lingered behind the scenes for at least 1 year that we know about now, it's still boggling.  Gelb was laying off other Met staff as well for fiscal reasons, but Levine's "proclivities" were overlooked?
Yes it's a tragedy on all sides (himself, his victims and their families, the Met's valued image), because I truly believe that Mr. Levine is/was generally well liked.  I have never met him, but how could so many people, singers especially prasie him all the time and still be looking the other way must stand for something.  What is the miracle, is that this suspension did not happen much earlier in Levine's career and his tenure at the Met as Artistic Director/Music Director, etc.  I imagine his titles there and elsewhere will all be dissolved, it's sad but that is the heavy price he will now pay for his past sins.

Whether the Met can remove his past media performances, (DVDs,CDs, the Sirius series), I doubt that would happen anytime soon, if they should do it at all.

I remember several times (not too long ago), standing in line in the Met's lobby by the gift shop/box office area, waiting for cancellations to sold out performances and chatting with others in the line, and most of time, Levine was going to be conducting.  I especially recall being in line during the Met's previous Ring production (Otto Schenk's) and chatting with some tourists from Europe, and they just were hoping to get tickets, they wanted to experience Levine conducting the Ring in person, they really admired him.   They didn't really talk about the singers as much, they just wanted Levine.  That's an amazing following.

All gone now.  We all hope his victims can find closure and some solace, and the Maestro too.