Subject: Re: Levine
From: Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 4 Dec 2017 08:07:12 -0500

I guess the question is whether you should separate and celebrate the artist
while condemning the man.  Are the one and the same or are they separate
entities?  Do you put the pleasure the artist brings above the horrors of
the man who preys on others?  I'm seriously asking the question because I've
heard this about Wagner for years and now am hearing it about Levine.

Should the same standard be applied universally?  Outside opera, should Roy
Moore be voted into the Senate because the Moore who preyed on young women
is a different Moore than the politician?

And what is up with the Met?  This stuff about James Levine has been around
for decades.  Now that he is faltering in health and ability, they suddenly
grow a conscious and decide to suspend?  If it is ever found to be true that
the Met Opera paid hush money to victims (and I don't care if it was a
previous regime or the current one, since that information would be
available internally so all would know) doesn't that make it, in the word of
the year terms, complicit?

This entire thing is so distressing:  a grown man goes after young men, the
insider music world knows about but takes no action....and justifies it with
the sort of rational that Jon Goldberg writes:  the powers simply ignored
the awful things the man does because the musician made them money and
created art.