Subject: Re: Trovatore/Don Carlo arias/not arias
From: tom ponti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 1 Dec 2017 15:54:04 +0000

I am probably wrong here, but I think the reason Carlo was not given more solo music was because he seems to be the weakest character in the opera, and especially, in real life. His aria and duets with Elizabeth are gorgeous, and his duet and prison scene with Posa is exciting as is the Garden Scene. Carlo also in very prominent in the burning of the prisoners scene. So, all in all, Don Carlo is a major tenor role, IMO.