Subject: Re: Levine
From: Kathy Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 3 Dec 2017 19:35:28 -0500

And then there are laws (state, but enacted to comply with federal funding r=
equirements) that make an amazing range of people "mandatory reporters" of "=
child" (up to 18) sexual abuse. I have criticized these laws for 1) the over=
breadth of whom they include (just about everyone a child is likely to encou=
nter: all law enforcement folks; all health profession folks; all teachers; a=
nyone else caring for a particular child); and 2) the absence of a "reasonab=
le professional judgment" defense (i.e. defendant can prove that in his/her p=
rofessional judgment there was no reason to suspect abuse: that and a valid f=
arecard'll get you on the subway).

As a retired high school teacher and  administrator, I'd like to tell you that these expectations
are not over reaching and that, instead, in my roles, I have been told by students of pretty
awful things that were presently being done to them.  I reported them, they were
investigated, and far more often than not, proved to be true.  However, I was rarely the first
person to know about these things and I was shocked at how often truly serious instances of
physical and sexual abuse had been ignored by "mandatory reporters" who did not take their
jobs seriously or did not "want to get involved".  I don't recall any of the folks who ignored
these issues facing consequences, but I do know that the students certainly endured more
horrific abuses than they should have.