Subject: Fwd: Trovatore/Don Carlo arias/not arias
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 3 Dec 2017 21:04:41 +0000

Dear Pepper

I did not say that it is not an aria. I said that a lot of Verdi
roles have no aria, and I listed several - Amneris, Mistress
Ford, Simon Boccanegra and others.

You questioned why he didn't have more than one "aria", and I
pointed out the lack of arias in those roles I listed to indicate
that that lack of arias is quite common in Verdi's vocal
writing. Don Carlo surely has one! To put it differently, it is
not the lack of arias but the stinginess (if you want) of solo
music for him that is jarring.

Hope that clarifies it.

Bird