Subject: Re: Sutherland's Met Trovatore (was Re: Fwd: WHEN TO RETIRE)
From: robert levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 1 Dec 2017 10:28:11 -0500

Actually, it's an interesting point. I think DC is devoid of true arias
because the character himself is weak - not, of course, as weak as he was
in real life, but in the context of the opera, he is the least interesting
character. He's smitten with love, but he gets his politics from Posa. All
the people surrounding him, except Elisabetta, are fierce and/or
duplicitous. It's no coincidence that we get to know Philip, Eboli and Posa
so much better: Verdi had little to say about Carlo.
Bob