Subject: Re: Levine
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 3 Dec 2017 13:11:03 -0700

These rumors about James Levine have been around for over thirty years.
I've known people within the Met family (administration and performers) who
have said that there have been many instances over the years - a long time
ago while the Met was still doing tours even so that's pre-1986.
Scuttlebutt was always that the Met paid lots of money to keep things quiet
and buy silence.  Allegedly, he was sent for counseling and told in no
uncertain terms to keep it below the radar and that if these incidents ever
became public, the Met would formally wipe its hands of him.  Frankly, an
opera conductor might not have been picked up by the major media, at least
in the US.  I believe a number of years ago Levine was up for consideration
for the helm of the Berlin Philharmonic and it was decided against because
of the rumors.

The other part of the rumors, which is not totally consistent with the
current accuser, is that Levine's main sexual interest was teen aged black
boys.  The current accuser is from Kenilworth, one of the wealthiest
suburbs of any American City.  Earlier incidents concerned boys and men who
did not have the financial situation of the current accuser.  They might
have been more easily bought off.  This man obviously, was more afraid of
the publicity.  Who knows.  Generally, I'd give someone the benefit of the
doubt but there have been just too many rumors over the years.  When their
is fire, there is smoke (or is it the other way around).  What surprises me
is that its taken so long but then again, these are things that people
don't like to talk about and its only now that many of the worst abusers
are being publicly shamed.

One thing is certain, the casting couch has been around for centuries, for
women and for me.  For anyone younger, prettier, and vulnerable for trading
favors for the possility of fame and fortune.  Where its a problem in the
current case is that there are underage males abut in other instances of
course, underage females.

Donald