Subject: Re: Levine
From: "David M. Wagner" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 3 Dec 2017 11:46:32 -0500

And then there are laws (state, but enacted to comply with federal funding requirements) that make an amazing range of people "mandatory reporters" of "child" (up to 18) sexual abuse. I have criticized these laws for 1) the overbreadth of whom they include (just about everyone a child is likely to encounter: all law enforcement folks; all health profession folks; all teachers; anyone else caring for a particular child); and 2) the absence of a "reasonable professional judgment" defense (i.e. defendant can prove that in his/her professional judgment there was no reason to suspect abuse: that and a valid farecard'll get you on the subway).

But they are what they are, so, the people at the Met who should already be spending their retirement funds on fancy defense counsel would include anyone with direct or indirect responsibility for child performers and/or high school interns if any. That might well include most adults working at the Met. Perhaps this is the great budgetary salvation it's been waiting for.

Otoh It wouldn't be a bad idea for Boards at other houses, employing other gifted but disturbed maestri, to initiate preemptive investigations, as failure to do so might later be seen as negligence per se. And then of course most of *their* staff will also require goldplated defense counsel....

Even if it allows the Met to offload some of the Great Overpaid, this is not good for opera as such. #Save the arts

-David Wagner

Sent from my iPhone