Subject: Re: Levine
From: Marc Shepherd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 3 Dec 2017 10:29:16 -0500

I too will not be surprised if yesterday’s performance turns out to have
been the last. In other branches of the media and performing arts, we are
seeing people fired for allegations far less offensive than these. If he
were scheduled to conduct tomorrow, what kind of reception would he get? I
think his next scheduled date is *Tosca* on New Year’s Eve. I think the Met
will have its answer by then.

A common thread in many of these cases (Weinstein, Lauer, Rose, *etc.*), is
that once the allegations come out, it turns out there were lots of people
who knew, or at least strongly suspected, what was going on. A Facebook
friend of mine who is on the Met staff, wrote: “I have known the
allegations for decades.” You think he is the only one?

Bear in mind, by the time Gelb took over, Levine was already in late
career, and not in the best health. If the Met turned a blind eye, most of
the alleged behavior probably took place on the watch of other General
Managers. You would have to blame them a lot more than Peter Gelb. Of
course, unless the smoking gun was in their hands, they could always say,
“It was just a scurrilous rumor, without evidence, and Jimmy vigorously
denied it.” Exactly what Gelb is now saying.

The Met would have been morally obligated to investigate if the alleged
offense occurred on their property, or with one of their employees. The
situation here concerns a kid who visited Levine backstage at the Ravinia
Festival. Sure, there could be more kids, but that’s the only concrete
allegation so far. The Met’s obligation in *that* situation is not so clear.

Although Jimmy might have paid off the young man out of his own funds, it
doesn’t mean the Met was a party to it. I know there are also rumors that
the Met participated actively in the payoffs, but so far there is no
confirmation of that. As in any situation fueled mostly by rumor, there is
probably a lot of exaggeration, even if the portion that’s true is still
pretty ugly.

--
Marc Shepherd
New York, NY