Subject: Re: Levine
From: Brian T <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 3 Dec 2017 12:05:44 +0000

Some one yesterday said "drop it"?  Looking on line today at all the reports by various news org's, I don't think it can be dropped now.
If anything is going to be "dropped", it will Levine himself, and Gelb will be holding the axe.  And Gelb doesn't come off looking squeaky clean if he knew about it all these years and how could he not know?

I have never read Ms. Fielder's book, but why didn't the Met open its own investigation then?  Because Levine had paid this young man over many years, but that is wrong too, that's just hush-up money.  And the Met didn't want a scandal, sure I get that, with all the fiscal concerns, empty seats, etc.
But now it's a different climate.  And where there was one young man under Levine's spell, there were likely others,too.  How many didn't come forward due to embarassment, or even threats from Met lawyers?  This will now all come out, and rightly so.

I am guessing yesterday's Requiem broadcast and performance was Levine's last with the company.  Maybe fitting--a requiem for Levine.  A sad way to end a great musical career, but Levine should have never done what he did, no matter how long ago it may have been.