Subject: DC's IN SERIES presents AN OPERETTA HOLIDAY: full of fluff and funny, too (12-6-17)
From: Alan Savada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 7 Dec 2017 12:56:37 -0500

Last night the In Series (disclosure-I am on the Board) opened a 3 performance run of a delightful and frothy selection of operettas at gala Hispanic Theatre in DC.

The program was accompanied deftly by Frank Conlon at the grand piano with superb direction and book by Nick Olcott. Add an excellent set by Jonathan Dahm Robertson and gorgeous costumes by Donna Breslin and you have a hit with this cast:

Melissa Chavez, Katherine Fili, Cara Gonzalez, Suzanne Lane, Alex Albuquerque, Simon Charette, Cornelius (CJ) David & Garrett Matthews

In the first half the women were dressed regally in floor length mono-colored gowns with the men in tails with colored matching bow ties & cummerbunds. Occasionally they pulled a hat from under the tablecloths of the small tables set across the stage as if in a café, but here with champagne flutes. Some of the hats got monstrous laughs, especially the Mountie Stetson for Rose-Marie.

The operetta selections were superb as well and extremely varied and cut so that the performers could move from one to the next with an occasionally funny bridge of banter thanks to Mr. Olcott. The operettas represented were Desert Song, Kiss Me Kate, Rose-Marie, The Land of Smiles, Naughty Marietta, Ein Wiener Walzer(film), The New Moon, The Vagabond King, The Merry Widow, The Gypsy Princess, The Studen Prince, Die Fledermaus, One Night in Venice, Giuditta & Katinka giving us a broad range of styles and tempos.

We were often in stitches such as with the "Ach, die Weiber!" from Merry Widow when the four men paraded across the stage and ultimately were doing a legup dance in their chairs (a la Rockettes) with Mr. Matthews hitting hysterical falsetto high notes to boot.

The second half had the men now in white ties and vests with the women in sequined gowns. Ms. Fili was also in tux for her Orlofsky portrayal replete with taped on moustache that came off (I guess on purpose) as she sang "Chacun a son gout."

These days we have a lot of serious and intense theater and this was a total night of froth, fun and laughter that had us all in the best of spirits.

It will be repeated on Saturday Dec 9 at 8pm and Sunday the 10th at 7pm if operetta is in your libretto.

ALAN SAVADA of Washington, DC