Subject: FW: Hearing Gigli in the flesh
From: Miguel A De Virgilio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 7 Dec 2017 01:03:46 +0000

I posted this on Stefan behalf

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Zucker [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2017 4:36 PM
To: Miguel A De Virgilio <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Hearing Gigli in the flesh

Miguel wrote that he "attended Gigli’s 1951 recital at the Gran Rex in Buenos Aires.
The label in the Arkadia label is  WRONG .It was not 1950 it was 1951.
If you have the Arkadia set go to track 16, Gounod’s Ave Maria .
The guy who screams “Recondita armonia” at the beginning of the piano introduction was ME!
I was 19 years old  and  Recondita armonia was my favorite aria. Irresponsible of me to do that.
I agree with you and Corelli  the best of Gigli were his late 40’s and 50’s, including when he was 61.”

Only in my dreams do I get to hear Gigli live! I wonder if others on Opera-L besides Miguel actually did so and if so what they thought. In vol. 1 of Franco Corelli and a Revolution in Singing he and I concur that Gigli was a little too white in the 1920s, which most think of as his best years. Our preference is for Gigli from the late 30s onward. Corelli knew Gigli and admired him wildly. He covered him in Fedora at the Teatro dell’Opera.

Stefan