Subject: Verdi's Manzoni Requiem from the Met
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 2 Dec 2017 21:34:49 +0000

as heard on WQXR today.

It is a magnificent work and I've never heard a performance
that didn't provide a decent amount of satisfaction. And so
it was tday.

I'm not sure what was Levine's problem and what was the
sound engineer's but the balances were all out of whack.
At times the orchestra overwhelmed the chorus and at others
the men outsang the women and... I'm inclined to pin it
more on the engineering, but it's hard to know.

The two women were outstanding, and Stoyanova was superb
in the "Libera me" including a thrilling ascent to that top C that
could be heard, but ... I have to admit I'd have been happier
if it had been louder. The softer music showed exquisite
repose and often goreous tone.

Their voices blended beautifully and were quite individual both
in unison and in solos.

The two men were anything but outstanding, and Furlanetto,
unfortunately, made me realize, as had never before been the
case, just how much music is given to the bass and how much
of a performance can be ruined by him, and it was!

Still, I was happy to hear it, even in its compromised condition
and was particularly glad to hear Stoyanova in a new part, for
me.

Bob