Subject: In diesen heil¹gen Hallen?
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 5 Dec 2017 19:13:27 -0500

I've been attending performances at the MET since 1975.  Since I come from
out of town (Cleveland) every visit  is (still) an event.  Each time I see
those 5 soaring arches I can't help but hearing "In diesen heil¹gen Hallen"
in my mind's ear expecting if not always achieving magic.

I too had heard the Levine rumors for years, but with time and tide I put
them out of my head - if they did surface, I assumed - not that they had
been covered up - but rather that there was nothing to them.  Foolish and
naïve but given "the product" the MET produces it is an easy fiction to
believe Musik ist eine heilige Kunst - rather than the very human, and
often nasty "business" it actually is.

As this story develops I find I am more and more disturbed by the whole
thing - a sort of vicarious violation not of course, to be compared with
the persons who were actually and personally violated - again an opera
libretto sums up how I feel at this moment:

Oh mio bel nido insozzato di fango!

All of this is further complicated by the fact that while
Levine's achievements will forever be modified by this dishonorable coda,
our National Moron continues in his position as Putin's Viceroy  appointed
to administer the satellite state of Amerika.