Subject: Re: Fwd: WHEN TO RETIRE
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 30 Nov 2017 13:56:25 +0000

I think we are pretending that the decision is easier than it is.
Performances can be booked years in advance, perhaps while the aging
singer is still capable of performing the role satisfactorily. It is
also difficult for singers--or anyone, for that matter--to evaluate
themselves honestly; in many cases they are assured by others (family,
agents, conductors) that they still retain enough voice and talent to
perform the role. Ending a performing career honorably requires wisdom,
honesty and a kind of ruthless self-evaluation beyond most of us.

Those known for interpretation and "musicianship" (whatever that
means--I hear an Albert tirade in my head) fade better than those known
purely for voice. Probably the saddest farewell I attended was Joan
Sutherland's last run in Trovatore at the Met, certainly the worst
production I have ever seen. The role was far beyond her current
ability--but it was ludicrous in the first place to cast her as Leonora,
and I felt nothing but sadness at the thought of those (her husband) who
had encouraged her. She deserved far better.

Rich