Subject: Stephen Costello interview
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 30 Nov 2017 18:17:59 -0500

I heard recently on PBS an interview with Stephen Costello, on a show I had
never seen before that had three or four short pieces with various people.
We have probably heard enough by now about his divorce and acid reflux, but
they filmed him having dinner at his parents' house, which was rather
endearing, since clearly nobody in his family thought of him as an opera star.

The interview reminded me of a question I have read in comments on other
opera sites and often wondered about myself.  What happened to the YouTube
clip that has what is arguably the best singing he ever recorded?  It was
the Rossini 'Cuius animam' from a church recital that looked at best
semi-professional.  As it turned out the acoustic flattered him, but still I
remember some pretty extraordinary singing on that clip, in a completely
idiomatic Italian style.  I can't imagine he would have removed it from
YouTube himself; I wonder who did.  It is especially odd in that other bits
of that same recital that are not nearly as interesting remain. Any experts
in YouTube law on the List?

David Kubiak