Subject: Re: Exterminating Angel
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 22 Nov 2017 11:37:40 -0500

The article mentions both Erin Morley and (previously) Rachele Gilmore having gone up to
a high Ab in the Olympia aria (both in the same place in a similar interpolated phrase
near the start of the 2nd verse). Gilmore's circumstance (Dec 23, 2009) was particularly
amazing - she was making her Met debut that night, going on with very short notice for
an ailing Kathleen Kim. This was broadcast on Sirius - I heard it live - and I remember
there was a lot of discussion afterward as to whether indeed this was the first time an Ab
had been sung in the house.

I also had the thrill of seeing Gilmore do Zerbinetta in Boston a few months later, easily
tossing off all those high notes, in the midst of some very gymnastic staging, as I recall.

Here's a youtube link to the Doll Aria on that Met debut night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHp4LLnlKIg

In terms of Audrey Luna singing Ades at the Met - I have the vocal score of Tempest, and
can't remember for sure that G was the highest note called for, but I trust that that's
right. I did find an online only copy of the score of Exterminating Angel, and I do
remember first seeing that high B in brackets - and noted that Luna chose not to sing it.
(And I can't blame her lol.)

I do think that even Luna, with her amazing command of that tessitura, does sound
awfully squeaky up there in the highest notes - it's not the kind of sound I would normally
want to hear in general from a coloratura in a more standard high range lol - but this is a
more extreme situation (no pun intended), and I tend to doubt anyone else could do it
any better. ;-) I also tend to wonder, though, how many sopranos will really be able to
sing these roles come scritto in the future. It's not just the range itself, it's the endurance
test of doing a whole role that constantly gets up to that punishing range. Luna has made
a specialty of this rep - but who will assume that stratospheric mantle next?

On Wed, 22 Nov 2017 05:52:50 -0500, Wendell Eatherly
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 23:50:00 -0500, Tom Frey <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>When the Met put on The Tempest with Luna I think some of those squeaky notes she
sang
>might have been A's
>
>According to the article in the NY Times, she "only" had to go up to a G in "The
Tempest". It
>also mentions a couple of recent Olympias who've gone up to an A-flat. According to the
>article, the A is the highest note they KNOW has been sung in a Met performance,
though "it is
>possible that an even higher note could have slipped through the archival cracks."
>
>The article also notes that there's an even higher B in the score of "The Exterminating
Angel",