Subject: Re: When to retire
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 28 Nov 2017 23:51:23 +0000

I was also at Soderstrom's last Met Marschallin and agree with Bob--the
performance was absolutely unforgettable. She also did the Figaro
Countess earlier that season (Susanna had been her Met debut nearly 30
years earlier), another set pf memorable performances.

I would add that although that was her "official" farewell she did
return to the Met as another Countess, this time in The Queen of Spades.
She also made regular appearances in the Art of Song series at Alice
Tully Hall. Her voice may have lost some of its early luster, but none
of its art. I doubt there is a performer I miss more.