Subject: Re: When to retire
From: Stephen Charitan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 28 Nov 2017 17:26:11 -0500

I saw, but most importantly heard a portly, elderly, virtually immobile
Bergonzi pour out a voice of burnished gold as Macduff in a Pittsburgh
Macbeth...

I have never seen or heard a more heartbreaking Countess (Figaro) or nobly
eloquent Marschallin than those from late career Elisabeth Soederstrom...

Marilyn Horne's valedictory Arsace at the MET could still knock my socks
off...

and a craggy Jon Vickers as Handel's Samson was like staring up in awe at
the Matterhorn...

I'm so glad they hung on!