Subject: Re: When to retire
From: Don <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 28 Nov 2017 13:00:50 -0700

That is what Ruth said in an interview after she left the Met.  Gelb just
did not like her.  I never heard her sing a bad performance.  As for
Milnes, at some point he just could not maintain the proper intonation on
any held notes and the tone flatted horribly.  It was embarrassing but I do
not think he heard it as he was upset at not getting another contract.  He
would try to pull the tone up but never quite made it.  I'm surprised he
lasted as long as he did.  Too bad as it was a gorgeous voice for too few
years.
dond

--
It's amazing how useful it can be.