Subject: Re: When to retire
From: k youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 28 Nov 2017 12:38:13 -0600

Has anyone mentioned Sam Ramey? He continued to appear long after he should have stopped. The intense wobble made listening to him unpleasant and threatened to erase fond memories of a great career. I’d rather remember him as he was in his prime.

And what about Anna Tomowa-Sintow? She made some painfully unpleasant appearances after she should have ceased, as can be heard on live performances. She’s another example of a great singer whose legacy is marred by refusing to quit.

Also, I just thought of an appearance Anna Moffo made on Italian television singing (croaking, actually) the Ballatella from Pagliacci. She was beyond just hanging around a little too long.

Kurt Youngmann