Subject: Re: When to retire
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 28 Nov 2017 12:37:50 -0500

Idia Legray wrote:

"But Sills didn't have that "privilege" and it had to be the most painful
decision she ever made about her career."

I'm sure it was sad for Sills to hang up her arpeggios, as it is for most singers.  But given that
she immediately went into the daunting and all-consuming task of running the (near-
bankrupt) NYCO, I doubt that she had much time to regret the end of her singing career.  Sills
always struck me as a lady with her feet planted firmly on the ground and not one for looking
back.  Even if one takes some of her stories with a few grains of salt, it is clear from her
second autobio that running NYCO absorbed all of her attention after her farewell concert.
Also, being in charge of NYCO, artistically as well as administratively, gave her an artistic
outlet of sorts that I am sure compensated for the loss of her own singing career.

Another singer who had a very sensible and "grounded" approach to the end of her career
was Christa Ludwig.  Rysanek too, although alas cancer took her all too soon.

MDW