Subject: Re: When to retire
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 28 Nov 2017 11:17:46 -0500

I feel one of the most difficult things to do in the musical art world is
to "give up the ship".
Singers aren't stupid.  They fully well know what's happening to their
voices and are devastated about it because they just are not ready to say
goodbye.

This is true of the theater and the pop world, as well as opera.  It's as if
something dies when they make that final step.
Look at Callas knowing full well what she "should" have done as opposed to
what she "had" do.  MY heart went out to her.  She had that deer-in-the-
headlights look about her that saddened me.  Fortunately for her, she died
before having to say her final goodbye.

But Sills didn't have that "privilege" and it had to be the most painful
decision she ever made about her career.

I know it is sometimes tough to cut some slack to those on their way out
who gave so much of themselves to us, but I wish we could try to be just a
bit more grateful (as we were with Callas) and grant them our two hands
placed together in applause until they finally get the guts to do their final
goodbyes.