Subject: Re: Retire???
From: Tom Frey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 28 Nov 2017 10:19:00 -0500

I saw Scotto in Adriana and Norma way past her prime. Were the vocals good? No,not at all. Her high notes were strained and metallic. BUT, what she brought to the dramatic elements of the music was way above the level of  the most pristine singers appearing today and that alone made the event worthwhile. I also saw and heard Callas in her last concert tour. Not much needs to be said about her vocal condition at this time but I would not begrudge her the opportunity to do what she felt she needed to do at that moment in her life. I met and spoke to her backstage and she seemed very fragile  but grateful that her devoted fans had not abandoned her. We need more caring people than criticizing fanatics.

----- Original Message -----, From: gordon young <[log in to unmask]>